Frequently Asked Questions
Remodeling your home can feel a bit complicated. We are here to answer any questions you may have about the process to help smooth it along.
- Do you take on design only projects?
What is design-build?
Design-build brings design and construction services under one roof to simplify the remodeling process for homeowners. When your designer and contractor work as a team to create a space that brings your vision to life and with your investment in mind it saves time, money, and hassle. The transition from design to production is seamless.
The benefits of going with a design-build company is eliminating the number of people you need to interview and hire, and the responsibility to coordinate communication between a designer and contractor and smoothing potential friction between the two
If I have general ideas, can Corvallis Custom Kitchens & Baths establish which ideas will work best for my project?Yes, absolutely! We want to understand your vision and how you see yourself using this space before we make thoughtful suggestions for improving what can be done in your home when we start design. What matters most is creating a space that is made for you.
Do I need an architect or interior designer? What if I already have an architect or interior designer?The benefit of working with a design-build team is having all of these resources in house making it a cost-effective and efficient solution. We have an experienced team capable of handling even the most complex projects so you don’t have to worry about the details.
How do I make sure you do not design something we cannot afford?Nobody likes surprises! From the very first meeting we want to have a clear understanding of your remodeling priorities and goals and how much you want to invest so we can help you stay on track throughout the design process.
Why should I choose Corvallis Custom Kitchens & Baths?
What types of projects do you specialize in?With our years of experience as a general contractor in the Corvallis and surrounding area, we have developed a wide range of skills and ideas in the industry. Kitchen and bathroom remodels and expansions tend to be the primary focus of our work, but did you know we love to design and build whole home remodels and room additions, too?
Is my project too small?We love doing small projects, not just the big ones. Give us a call to discover if we’re a good fit to work together on yours.
Do I have to worry about any permits?Corvallis Custom Kitchens & Baths will take care of all construction permits needed for your project.
How much should I budget for my project? Should I plan to spend more money than the contract price?There are many factors that play into how much your project will cost. For kitchen and bathroom remodeling we offer a planning guide to provide you with general investment ranges for various levels of remodeling so you have an upfront idea of what to expect. For whole home remodels and room additions, we will provide a written scope of work along with a ballpark investment range to assist you with the early decision-making and planning. However, once you approve the project design, we provide you with a fixed price lump sum proposal and break out pricing for upgrade options you requested. The only way that price would change is if we discover a hidden condition during construction, you request a change order, or if you spend more or less on the items that have been assigned an allowance in your proposal (such as light fixtures, tile, or flooring, for example).
How can I find a dependable design/build remodeling company?
- Typically, having the necessary personnel in-house to work out the design and carpentry services is a good sign. They will have more control over the workers on the project, instead of a third-party company that will perform the work independently.
- Getting into the office for a meet and greet will give you an idea of the culture and how they work.
- Verify that the remodeling company is licensed, bonded, and insured as a contractor in your jurisdiction. You can verify this through the Oregon Construction Contractors Board in Oregon.
- You can check references if a family or friend has gone through them. Ask about their experience or by checking Google ratings and reviews to see other people's past experiences with the company.
I hear remodeling is stressful. What do you do to limit the stress?From our experience, stress arises from lack of communication, missed deadlines, unforeseen costs that end up on your final bill, and unclear expectations. We work to eliminate all this with our experienced team, knowing how long a project will take, making accurate estimates for the cost of the project, setting the expectations and goals early in the process, and keeping you informed at each step.
Can I live in my house while it is being remodeled?For kitchen and bathroom remodels the answer is yes! However, it really depends on the scope of the project. For whole home remodels, when there are health and safety risks, we will recommend that you find an alternative place to stay during certain phases of construction or for the entire project. While remodeling is disruptive to your daily routine, being prepared and planning ahead for those inconveniences will help make your experience better.
What does the process look like? What are the necessary steps?
- Initial Consultation: All remodels begin with an in-home consultation. You might notice we ask a lot of questions. To discover your challenges and priorities for your design and build project. We ask about what you would like to invest in your remodel and any time frame expectations you may have. Understanding your “why” factor behind the project allows us to customize the design to solve the problems you have with your space and make it a place you love.
- Design: This is where we dig into the details of solving the particular challenges you have with your space and provide creative solutions that fit your vision and priorities. Hands-down, design is the most important part of every remodel. Getting the details ironed out here paves the way for accuracy in estimating costs, clarity for our construction team and trade partners, and makes it easy to be sure we understand your vision before construction begins.
- Estimating & Contract Presentation: When you approve the design, we input all your project details in our estimating software and begin compiling costs. At the contract presentation you can expect a detailed, fixed price, lump sum proposal, with upgrade options and allowances clearly noted.
- Materials Selections: Did you know that our design team will help you with your material choices? If you thrill at the hunt for the perfect items for your new space and simply want affirmation that your ideas work well together, we can do that! Or maybe the thought of wading through all of the possible options overwhelms you, we will curate materials and finishes for you to choose from. You can have confidence that we will help you create a beautiful and functional space.
- Build: From demo day to final clean-up, you will have direct contact with your lead carpenter for any questions or concerns. Since all of the decisions are made before we even start work, you can enjoy the daily progress without having to stress about deadlines.
How will I be updated on my project?
The day-to-day aspects of your project will be managed by your Lead Carpenter and Project Coordinator.
We will also provide you with password-protected access to our web-based project management system where you can check the schedule, communicate with your design and construction team, make decisions on materials selections and change orders, and check your financials at any time.
Can I request or change things during the remodel?
We do our best to think all the way through your project during design and estimating to eliminate or reduce the need for change orders once construction begins. However, we have a straightforward process in place for change orders once your project is underway. If the magnitude of the change order is significant, we may request that it be treated as a separate project to be completed at a later date. We may not have enough time to complete the additional work without disrupting the schedule we have in place for our next client.
Do you take on design only projects?
Since we are a design AND build company, our focus is on designing spaces for clients who want to work with our team through both phases to ensure a seamless transition when it’s time to bring their plans to life.